Tuesday, November 13, 2007

HW30: Being the Citizen Journalist

The presentation I went to out of the Keene State College Citizenship Symposium was with Scott Ritter and the title of his speech was Citizen Soldier, Global Warrior. The main point that Mr. Ritter was getting across was that the united states citizens should become part of the choices that are made by this country. He used examples of how this government isn’t really a democracy in the sense that we really don’t have a choice on who we vote for. He explained that we didn’t get to choose who was on the ballad, and how they get this is how rich they are and how much they can put into a campaign. This speech really had me paying attention because he was talking about things that I never even considered. He made me realize that the united satates is basically trying to run the world when we don’t have the right. I believe his views and I was happy I went to this. A quote I remember him saying that struck me was “Consumerism is the antithesis of citizenship”, which basically means that buying things to “keep the economy” going, isn’t going to make the country better. Citizens need to respond to what they believe is wrong and voice their opinions more so the government can’t feel like they have all of the power.

No comments: